TVRH opened its doors in 2002 as a not-for-profit hospital serving Lake, Marion, and Sumter counties in Florida. While this facility is physically located in The Villages®, it is not owned by any private individual, the State of Florida, or the communities it serves. Non-profit assets are held in a manner similar to a trust and are dedicated to serving the healthcare needs of residents in The Villages® and surrounding communities.
Since its opening with 63 beds, the hospital has seen several expansions. After the latest addition, there are currently 317 beds including a 30 bed in-house Acute Rehab hospital.
The hospital has advanced programs in orthopedic surgery with a recognized Joint Center. A leading-edge cardiac catheterization lab and recently added Digital Vascular Suite assure prompt care for patients with cardiac/vascular issues. TVRH is the area's only Advanced Primary Stroke Center and has a unique affiliation with University of Florida Health Shands Hospital. Comprehensive Emergency Services are provided by its full-service Emergency Department. The growing array of specialty services includes robotic surgery and neurosurgery in conjunction with the 30-bed in-house Acute Rehab Hospital which offers inpatient rehabilitation services for those who have had a stroke, traumatic brain injury or other neurological disorders.
We are especially proud of the hospital's many certifications, accreditations and services explained in more detail below:
- Inpatient Oncology Unit is accredited with commendation by the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer (CoC). Additionally, the hospital has received the Jean Byers Award for excellence in cancer registration from the Florida Cancer Data System every year since the inception of its cancer registry program in 2004.
- Chest Pain Center. In 2017 the hospital earned full accreditation by the American College of Cardiology as an Accredited Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI and Resuscitation. There are 2 cardiac catheterization labs on site and a third is being planned.
- Primary Stroke Center. In November 2016 the hospital received re-certification from the Joint Commission as a Primary Stroke Center and is also designated as a Primary Stroke Center by the Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration. We partner with UF Health to provide comprehensive stroke care for our patients when needed.
- Emergency Services provides 50 beds with access to an entire Heart Institute, the area's only neurosurgery team and more than 100 other specialists. Specialty referral resources are available through our recent academic affiliation with University of Florida Health. Additionally, a 16-bed, 24-Hour Emergency Department is coming to the Wildwood area in early 2020.
- Surgical Services include a state-of-the-art da Vinci Xi robotic surgical system and the new Digital Vascular Surgery Suite.
- TVRH Rehabilitation Hospital was accredited in 2018 by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and offers 30 beds for acute inpatient rehabilitation.
- Wound Care and Hyperbaric Center is the recipient of the President's Circle distinction which was given in recognition of the Center's outstanding performance in patient satisfaction and healing rates. The Center was awarded this prestigious honor by Healogics, the nation's largest provider of advanced wound care services. Out of 413 eligible Centers, only 29 were honored with this award nationwide. For five consecutive years, the Center has been recognized as a Robert A. Warriner III, Center of Excellence, achieving patient satisfaction rates higher than 92 percent and a healing rate of at least 91 percent in less than 30 median days to heal.
- The Joint Institute received the "Gold Seal of Approval" Core Certification for both Hip Replacement and Knee Replacement from the Joint Commission